How is a gallbladder scan performed?

The most common gallbladder scan is an ultrasound. This is done with a small probe that is gently scanned over your abdomen. The probe sends sound waves through the body and creates images using these sound waves. Your doctor or a technician can perform the ultrasound scan. It is not invasive and does not use radiation. Other scans include a computed tomography (CT) scan, which uses x-rays to scan the body and produce images, and a hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) scan, which looks at how the gallbladder functions after you receive an injection of a drug that is taken up by the liver and gallbladder and then emptied into the intestines.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Ask Oz and Roizen: Coronary Calcium Scanning, and MRIs' Effect on Tattoos
Q: My 45-year-old brother is a fireman. When he started getting short of breath, his GP sent him to a cardiologist. Everyone figured it was asthma, bu...
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
Joining Forces: PET/MRI Scans
In the late 1800s, Ralph Waldo Emerson was credited with saying “Build a better mousetrap and the world will b...
What is a magnetic resonance angiogram (MRA)?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
When magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is used to diagnose problems in the blood vessels, the test is...
What should I ask my doctor about an optical coherence tomography?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
 The following questions can help you talk to your physician about having optical coherence tomograp...