How is a gallbladder scan performed?

The most common gallbladder scan is an ultrasound. This is done with a small probe that is gently scanned over your abdomen. The probe sends sound waves through the body and creates images using these sound waves. Your doctor or a technician can perform the ultrasound scan. It is not invasive and does not use radiation. Other scans include a computed tomography (CT) scan, which uses x-rays to scan the body and produce images, and a hepatobiliary iminodiacetic acid (HIDA) scan, which looks at how the gallbladder functions after you receive an injection of a drug that is taken up by the liver and gallbladder and then emptied into the intestines.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Imaging

Know Before You Go: Radiation
Know Before You Go: Radiation
When you’ve been diagnosed with cancer, you may feel like you’re all alone—but you’re not. You’ll have a team of healthcare providers (HCPs) dedicated...
Ask Oz and Roizen: Coronary Calcium Scanning, and MRIs' Effect on Tattoos
Q: My 45-year-old brother is a fireman. When he started getting short of breath, his GP sent him to a cardiologist. Everyone figured it was asthma, bu...
How much radiation will I receive from a medical test?
SecondsCount.orgSecondsCount.org
Radiation dose is measured with a unit called a millisievert (mSv). The radiation for various me...
What is the Society of Interventional Radiology (SIR)?
Society of Interventional RadiologySociety of Interventional Radiology
The Society of Interventional Radiology is a national organization of doctors, scientists and allied...