How will I receive DaTscan?

You will receive DaTscan in an injection three to six hours before your brain scan. You will also be given supplements (potassium iodide or potassium perchlorate) to prevent your thyroid from taking up the radioactive iodine (iodine 123) in DaTscan. Iodine 123 can increase the risk of thyroid cancer if steps are not taken to prevent it from being absorbed by the thyroid.

Be sure to drink extra water before and after the injection. Urinating frequently will speed up elimination of this drug, which emits low levels of radiation.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Agent