How can I add inulin to my diet?

Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
Inulin is a polyfructose (meaning several fructose chain) or fructan carbohydrate, and from a nutrition standpoint is known for its fiber and prebiotic benefits.

There are only a few whole food sources of inulin (chicory root, sunchokes/Jerusalem artichoke, dandelion and burdock roots and small amounts in garlic and onion). Note that growing behavior and storage conditions may affect the inulin content.

While it makes sense that inulin's benefits would be best conferred by consuming the food, since the inulin portion of inulin-containing foods goes undigested through to the large intestine, its benefits will maintain intact even if properly isolated and used as an isolated supplement. That said, the foods that contain inulin have lots of health benefits beyond inulin -- so, as always, go for whole food first.

Continue Learning about Diagnostic Agent