How can I plan for my diabetic peripheral neuropathy testing?

There is not much to plan for during diabetic peripheral neuropathy testing.  The diagnosis of diabetic neuropathy is based on a sensory examination during which a neurologist will test the patient's ability to feel a cotton swab, pinprick, vibration and joint position sense in the hands and feet.  If there is some doubt as to the diagnosis, they may recommend an EMG/NCS which is an electrical study of the nerves and muscles.  During the study, the physician will place electrodes on the feet and send small shocks through the nerves to evaluate how the nerves are working; the second part of the study involves inserting a very thin needles into the muscles to evaluate for injury.  The test can be uncomfortable but is not very painful.  

If you are being tested for diabetic peripheral neuropathy, you may see a neurologist or an endocrinologist, a specialist who treats diabetes. It's a good idea to write down some of your medical history beforehand, as well as prepare some questions for your doctor. Write down any symptoms you've been having, as well as any current medications or vitamins. You'll undoubtedly have questions about the test, especially about the potential diagnosis. Preparing these questions beforehand is helpful so that you don't forget them during the visit. Bringing someone with you for support is also recommended.

Continue Learning about Diabetic Neuropathy (Nerve Damage)