Why should I keep a diabetes management logbook?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
To develop the best diet, exercise, and medication regimens, you have to track how the three factors affect your blood sugar. Keep a log, and you'll start to see the connections: "When I eat fruit for breakfast, my blood sugar level is a little high" or "If I stay under 40 grams of carbohydrate for lunch, my blood sugar level is fine" or "If I lower my insulin dose by 3 units before getting on the treadmill, my blood sugar level won't drop too low." That's what a diabetes management log is for -- it's a place to track your food intake, exercise, medication dose, and blood sugar level, and figure out those all-important patterns.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.