Why do I have high blood glucose levels after meals if I am on insulin?

High blood glucose levels after meals are a very common and frustrating problem for insulin users, especially if you have type 1 diabetes. The insulin that you get with a pump or an insulin pen goes into your fatty tissue below the skin (subcutaneous tissue). This enters your bloodstream way too slowly. You get excessively high blood glucose after you eat because nutrients (especially rapid-acting carbohydrates) are soaked into the bloodstream a lot faster than the insulin. This leads to a mismatch between the absorption of food and action of the insulin.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Diabetes Can Hurt Your Feet—And What You Can Do
People with diabetes often have problems with their feet. One common issue is peripheral neuropathy, which affects up to half of diabetes patients. Th...
Can low blood sugar be as dangerous as high blood sugar?
Dr. Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MDDr. Athena Philis-Tsimikas, MD
Most patients with diabetes focus on preventing high blood sugar, but low blood sugar can be just as...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Is Fee for Service Going to Bankrupt Healthcare?