Why do I have high blood glucose levels after meals if I am on insulin?

High blood glucose levels after meals are a very common and frustrating problem for insulin users, especially if you have type 1 diabetes. The insulin that you get with a pump or an insulin pen goes into your fatty tissue below the skin (subcutaneous tissue). This enters your bloodstream way too slowly. You get excessively high blood glucose after you eat because nutrients (especially rapid-acting carbohydrates) are soaked into the bloodstream a lot faster than the insulin. This leads to a mismatch between the absorption of food and action of the insulin.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.