What are gliptins?

Donna Hill Howes, RN

Gliptins, also called DPP-4 inhibitors, raise the level of the hormone incretin. This increases insulin and lowers glucagon. The overall effect is that more glucose is absorbed by cells and less glucose is produced in the liver. Gliptins are taken by mouth. They may be prescribed alone or in combination with other diabetes drugs.

Several gliptins are available in the US. These include alogliptin (Nesina), linagliptin (Tradjenta), saxagliptin (Onglyza), and sitagliptin (Januvia). Some other products combine a gliptin with another diabetes drug in a single pill, such as Glyxambi, Janumet, Jentadueto, Kazano, Kombiglyze XR, and Oseni.

This answer was adapted from Sharecare's award-winning AskMD app. Start a consultation now to find out what's causing your symptoms, learn how to manage a condition, or find a doctor.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Manage Insulin-Dependent Diabetes With 90-Day CGMs
When you think of humans with implants, you may picture sinister movie characters like Dr. No with bionic metal hands or the Borg from Star Trek. But ...
How soon after I wake up should I check my blood sugar?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
First thing in the morning, before your feet even hit the floor, is “low tide” for your blood sugar....
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What If I Become Depressed After My Diabetes Diagnosis?