What do the readings on my glucose monitor kit mean?

The reading on your glucose monitor kit is the amount of sugar in your blood. These results are measured in milligrams of glucose per deciliter of blood (mg/dL). Your doctor can tell you what range your personal readings should fall in. However, after eight hours of fasting, a typical diabetic person’s ideal reading should fall between 90 and 130 mg/dL. If you test before meals, your blood sugar level should be between 70 and 130 mg/dL. You reading should be no more than 180 mg/dL if you test an hour or two after eating.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Got Diabetes? 3 Ways to Protect Your Eyes
People with diabetes are at greater risk for retinopathy because of persistent high blood sugar levels. In this video, Robin Miller, M.D. offers criti...
With diabetes, why do I need to be aware of carbohydrate content of food?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can’t get diabetes from eating too much sugar or other carbohydrates. However, eating too much i...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
What Is Community-Based Diabetes Care?
What Is Community-Based Diabetes Care?