How many people in the United States have diabetes?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinologist

More than 4,000 Americans were diagnosed with diabetes on the same day you were. And the same thing is happening today. And 4,000 more will join us tomorrow. That's almost 1.5 million Americans every year who are diagnosed with diabetes.

Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Today in the United States, 23.6 million children and adults, or nearly 8 percent of the population, have diabetes, a disease in which the person’s body does not produce or correctly use insulin. Insulin is a hormone that helps change glucose (sugar) and other foods into energy. New cases of diabetes have risen more than 90 percent among adults over the last 10 years, and since 1987 the number of deaths from the disease has risen by 45 percent, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Diabetes Association.

Tonya Bolden
Alternative & Complementary Medicine Specialist

Diabetes toll amongst the children of America is:

• In 1990 less than 4 percent of American children and teens were diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. A decade later, that number had more than quadrupled.
  • The majority of young people diagnosed with type 2 diabetes are overweight or obese at the time of their diagnosis.
  • Young people of color are more likely to contract type 2 diabetes than are Caucasian children.
  • The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has predicted that one out of every three Americans born in 2000 is at risk of being a type 2 diabetic by 2025.
Half the Mother, Twice the Love: My Journey to Better Health with Diabetes

As a talk-show host and inspirational speaker, Mother Love used to have to just grin and bear it -- all that extra weight and the poor health that went along with it. Today she can truly smile as she...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
9 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Dry Skin
If you have diabetes, it’s important to keep your skin healthy, moisturized and clean to avoid infections. But winter can pose some additional challen...
What warning signs should I call my doctor about when I have diabetes?
Dr. Jack Merendino, MDDr. Jack Merendino, MD
If you have diabetes, you should call your doctor: If your sugars are above about 250 for more th...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
What Are the Newest Drugs for Treating Diabetes?