Should I let my doctor know I am using glucose test strips?

Most people only use glucose test strips under a doctor's orders and advice, and your doctor should generally be informed about all conditions, medications, and self-monitoring devices you use to control your diabetes. Your doctor can tell you if any of the medications that you are using can interfere with the glucose test strips you use. Also, if and when you are hospitalized for your diabetes or any other reason, tell the medical professional which glucose test strips you are using so that any potential interference with new medications can be prevented.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.