How can I plan ahead for being hospitalized if I have diabetes?

Ask your health insurance company which hospital services they cover and for how much. Also, many insurance companies require you to notify them in advance for any service, except emergencies, so they can pre-approve your treatment. It is important to understand which services require pre-approval because it will determine whether a service is covered.

Evaluate local hospitals
You’ll want to learn about your local hospitals when planning ahead for hospital stays.

There are three types of hospitals: city or county hospitals, private community hospitals and hospitals that serve as teaching centers, usually affiliated with a medical school. But these types of hospitals are not mutually exclusive. A county or private hospital can also be affiliated with a medical school.

General hospital considerations

• Which hospitals are accepted by your health insurance?
  • Does your primary care provider and/or specialist have privileges at a particular hospital?
  • If he or she has privileges at several local hospitals, which is preferred?
  • Are there advantages or disadvantages to a particular hospital depending on the situation?

Talk to your diabetes care provider to learn about a hospital’s general reputation, as well as its reputation for treating people with diabetes. Discuss the steps you should take in the event of an emergency and agree on which hospital to use. Ask your provider where he or she would go or would send a family member.

You may want to ask any friends, neighbors or relatives who have had recent hospitalizations. You can also check with your diabetes educator or support group for further input.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Do You Know Your Macros?
Do You Know Your Macros?
A healthy diet may be the most powerful tool you have to manage your diabetes. If you eat a balanced diet and pay attention to portion sizes at meals ...
How should I prepare for an emergency if I have diabetes?
Mr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSWMr. Eliot LeBow, CDE, LCSW
It is important to remember to start preparing for an emergency early. In the event you have to evac...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood
Strawberries: A Diabetes Superfood