How do I get and maintain a diabetes medical management plan for my child?

If your child has been diagnosed with diabetes, several professionals can help you create a medical management plan specific to your child's individual needs. Your primary care physician or pediatrician can help you develop this plan.  You should talk with your doctor about medications and lifestyle changes for your child; ask if a referral to an endocrinologist (diabetes specialist) is needed. A diabetic educator, a nutritionist or registered dietitian can also help. Regular follow-up will also be needed for making adjustments in care and for maintaining your plan. These specialists can also direct you to further reading and research regarding your child's diabetes.
Parents are responsible for getting the physician's orders, or completed diabetes medical management plan (DMMP) form for the school.

The DMMP is developed and signed by the student's personal health care team and parent/guardian with the specific needs of an individual student in mind. It should detail all the elements of care and assistance for that student.

Once the DMMP has been provided to the school, it is implemented collaboratively by the school diabetes team, which includes the school nurse, student, parent/guardian, and other school personnel.

The DMMP should be updated annually or whenever the child's regimen, level of self-management, or school circumstances change.

Some health care practitioners will prefer to use their own forms.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Good Carb, Bad Carb: Do You Know the Difference?
Which do you think will raise your blood sugar more gently: Eating a whole orange or downing a glass of orange juice? The answer comes down to the qua...
If I have diabetes, what special vitamins should I take?
Dr. Jacob TeitelbaumDr. Jacob Teitelbaum
Research shows that the antioxidants we get from food, such as vitamin C, can lower the risk of diab...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
How Walnuts Help Your Blood Sugar
How Walnuts Help Your Blood Sugar