How is diabetes diagnosed in children?

Diabetes is suspected when children present symptoms of increased thirst, urination and weight loss. A blood and/or urine test is performed to test their glucose level and to detect antibodies to beta islet cells that can distinguish type 1 from type 2 diabetes.

Parents should encourage independence in the treatment of diabetes but at the same time must make sure their child is being responsible. By creating a personal diabetes management plan and daily schedule, and following a healthy meal plan, maintaining regular physical activity, checking blood glucose levels and taking insulin or oral medication as prescribed, every child will be able to manage his or her diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
The Best and Worst Foods for Diabetes
If you have diabetes, planning meals may seem at times like a walking on a tight rope. You can eat this, but not that. You can have some of this, but ...
What should I know about taking medication if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
New research is leading the way toward better therapies and improved quality of life for many people...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
What If I Become Depressed After My Diabetes Diagnosis?