How can I get my family to help me manage my diabetes?

Your family and friends can be your most important support system because they care about you. But they cannot help you with diabetes unless they understand diabetes and you tell them what you want from them. As a first step, each family member needs to understand what diabetes is, how it is managed and how to handle emergencies.

Most people who care about you will want to know how diabetes affects you. They may have many questions or worries. You can teach them what you know about your diabetes so you can avoid misunderstandings. On the other hand, you may need to let your friends or family know when you can manage things yourself. Open communication will help.

Sometimes problems arise among family members when they don’t really understand the disease. If your teenager is grumpy because he has to wait for you to take an insulin shot before you drive him to the mall, it may be because he doesn’t understand how important it is. If your spouse is waving potato chips under your nose when you are trying to cut back, she may not understand the importance of your goal to eat healthily.

In the case of an emergency, make sure your family members can ­recognize the signs of hypoglycemia and know how to deal with it.

Depending on your family, you can expect different re­sponses to your diabetes and different levels of enthusiasm for helping you work toward your food and exercise goals. Some may join in wholeheartedly, looking at this as a team effort. Other families or family members may resent making changes when they aren’t the one who is sick. You need to find the approach that works best for you. In some situations, you may be better off if you go it alone.

Being diagnosed with diabetes is life altering—not just for the person with diabetes, but also for loved ones and caregivers. Those we love don't always react to our diabetes the way that we hope they will. Some rise to the occasion and surpass our expectations, and others fall short. Having support from your partner can make a big difference in how well you cope with the challenges of diabetes. If your needs aren't being met, let your partner know and discuss changes. Set aside time to be together without talking about diabetes. Seek additional support, so your spouse isn't your only sounding board.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Is Weight Management Important for Diabetic Patients?
The Challenge of Integrating Electronic Medical Records
What Should Someone Look for in a Blood Glucose Meter?
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating