How can I include comfort food in my diabetes meal plan?

The most popular comfort foods contain lots of carbohydrate and fat (think macaroni and cheese), leaving one to wonder how to include them into a diabetes meal plan. You can include starchy foods, but make it count.

When you reach for comfort foods, make your carbs count by selecting the most nutrient-dense choices and keeping your portions small. Sweet potatoes, barley, brown rice and whole wheat pasta are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber and are perfect to add to your meal. To gauge a small portion, keep about 1/4 of your plate for starchy foods—with a depth of about the thickness of your palm. Keeping the portions small allows you to enjoy your favorites and manage blood glucose levels.

Have a favorite white-flour-based recipe like zucchini bread or pancakes? Get creative with your own recipes and try substituting from 1/4 up to 1/2 the white flour with whole wheat flour to make your favorite comfort foods more wholesome.

For other food groups featured in comfort food options, like dairy, try choosing lower-fat products to save on calories.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Are You Ready to Try a Plant-Based Diet?
If you’ve read anything about healthy eating plans for people with diabetes, you’ve probably seen the term “plant-based diet.” But what does it mean? ...
How does weight gain change my body's reaction to insulin?
Carole RadneyCarole Radney
Weight gain causes an increased demand on the pancreas to make more insulin, which it can't do. Sinc...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Obesity and the Decline of Healthy Eating