Could my borderline diabetes cause nerve pain in my upper back?

Howard E. Lewine, MD
Hospitalist
Yes, it's possible, but not very likely. If your blood sugars have been high for several years and the sugars were higher than they are now, that could have injured the nerve in your back.

However, I suspect there is some other reason. When diabetes affects the nerves, it usually takes many years of high blood sugars to cause symptoms. And the most common type of nerve damage from diabetes is peripheral neuropathy. This is pain, tingling or numbness that first occurs in the feet.

Since your pain is in your upper back, you should consider other reasons for your pain. Perhaps the pain is not nerve related.

If the pain is clearly nerve pain (doctors call this neuralgia), then the most common cause is an irritation or pinching of the nerve at the place where the nerve comes out of the spine. The medical term for this type of neuralgia is radiculopathy.
Harvard Medical School Diabetes: A plan for living

Nearly 24 million Americans roughly one of every 13 people have diabetes, a disease marked by high levels of sugar in the blood. More than 90% of them have type 2 diabetes, which occurs when the body...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Who Should Consider Using a Pre-Filled Insulin Pen?
In this video, endocrinologist Jack Merendino, MD, discusses pre-filled insulin pens, a method for taking insulin that some people with diabetes may p...
Which type of diabetes are children more likely to get?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
There are two main types of diabetes, Type 1 and Type 2. Type 1 diabetes is the commonest one in chi...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
Kicking the Soda Habit
Kicking the Soda Habit