How do I keep my continuous glucose monitor charged?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
CGM monitors come in two flavors: those that use throwaway “AAA” batteries, and those that, like cell phones, need to be recharged. If your monitor uses the garden variety Coppertops or Bunny batteries, it’s easy enough to carry a spare set with you, or if you get caught with your pants down, you can buy these universally available power cells almost anywhere.

If you have a rechargeable system, you need to have both your charger and a wall socket handy when you get into trouble. All the systems have battery life indicators, and you can help keep yourself out of trouble by paying attention to them and taking care of your system’s energy needs before it becomes a crisis. When using a rechargeable system, I just plugged it in overnight every three days, running the cord under my pillow.
Beyond Fingersticks: The art of control with continuous glucose monitoring

Everything you ever wanted to know about CGM (but didn’t know to ask)!Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM), the revolutionary technology that’s poised to completely change diabetes care, gives you...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How Diabetes Can Hurt Your Feet—And What You Can Do
People with diabetes often have problems with their feet. One common issue is peripheral neuropathy, which affects up to half of diabetes patients. Th...
What is islet transplantation for diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some researchers believe that when a virus infects a body, it might somehow change the structure of ...
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes4 Ways Winter Affects Your Diabetes
Cold hands could be a bigger problem than you think.
In Your Endocrinology Practice, What Has Changed?