When do I need to monitor my blood sugar more often?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
There are certain situations when you'll need to take more regular blood sugar readings. These include:
  • When you are first diagnosed. You'll benefit from frequent testing for the first several weeks or until you see your blood sugar levels stabilize.
  • When you make any changes to your exercise frequency or intensity.
  • When you make any changes to your diet, such as cutting calories or adjusting carbohydrate, protein, or fat intake.
  • When your doctor changes your medication or dosage.
  • When your blood sugar levels were well controlled but now have gone off course.
  • When you become ill with a cold or flu or other condition, especially one that makes you sick to your stomach or prevents you from keeping down fluids.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes

How to Protect Your Heart if You Have Diabetes
You’ve probably heard that diabetes is a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease. How major? According to the American Diabetes Association (AD...
How can I find a recognized diabetes education program?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
You can find a Recognized Education Program in your area by calling the American Diabetes Associatio...
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
How to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your DiabetesHow to Get the Best Possible Care for Your Diabetes
The right backup can help you live well and worry less about complications.
Losing Weight and Feeling Better Than Ever