Why is it advisable to keep glucose tablets with me if I have diabetes?

There may be times when your blood glucose level plummets and it is difficult to make it to the refrigerator for orange juice. Glucose tablets are easy to handle and they work within minutes. And you are less likely to overcompensate and eat too many glucose tablets because they don’t seem like candy. Try a few different kinds of fruit-flavored tablets to find the one that tastes best to you. The tablets come with varying amounts of glucose. Check the label to see how much to take.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Diabetes

Diabetes mellitus (MEL-ih-tus), often referred to as diabetes, is characterized by high blood glucose (sugar) levels that result from the body’s inability to produce enough insulin and/or effectively utilize the insulin. Diabetes ...

is a serious, life-long condition and the sixth leading cause of death in the United States. Diabetes is a disorder of metabolism (the body's way of digesting food and converting it into energy). There are three forms of diabetes. Type 1 diabetes is an autoimmune disease that accounts for five- to 10-percent of all diagnosed cases of diabetes. Type 2 diabetes may account for 90- to 95-percent of all diagnosed cases. The third type of diabetes occurs in pregnancy and is referred to as gestational diabetes. Left untreated, gestational diabetes can cause health issues for pregnant women and their babies. People with diabetes can take preventive steps to control this disease and decrease the risk of further complications.