What should I do if my blood tests show prediabetes or diabetes?

Emilia Klapp
First, don’t panic. Your doctor probably will give you six months to work on it. At that point, if your test results have not improved, he or she will prescribe oral diabetes medication. However, you can reverse the condition before then by starting an exercise program, eating healthy, and losing weight if necessary. Exercise is the best thing to reverse insulin resistance, even just walking at a brisk pace for five days a week. If you need help with healthy eating, ask your doctor for suggestions, talk to a dietician, or attend some nutrition classes. There also are several articles on the Internet with good advice about diet and exercise.

Continue Learning about Diabetes

Types of Diabetes
Types of Diabetes
Diabetes affects people of all ages and from all walks of life. There are several types, but type 2 diabetes is by far the most common. Of the nearly ...
If I've just been diagnosed with diabetes, what do I need to know?
Dr. Ronald Tamler, MDDr. Ronald Tamler, MD
If you've just been diagnosed with diabetes, you need to know the kind of diabetes that you have. In...
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues9 Keys to Preventing and Treating Diabetic Foot Issues
Being proactive can help keep your feet healthy.
Get a Good Night's Sleep for Better Blood Sugar