Can I prevent the onset of diabetes if I have prediabetes?

Jasprit S. Takher, MD
It’s important to recognize the signs of prediabetes to prevent diabetes. In this video, Jasprit Takher, MD, a practicing internist from MountainView Hospital, explains ways to improve blood sugar levels, which include a healthy diet and exercise.
An important research study showed that diabetes can be prevented in people who have prediabetes. The research showed that:
  • People with prediabetes who were counseled on effective diet, exercise and behavior changes lowered their risk of developing diabetes by 58%. This was true for all participating ethnic groups and for both men and women.
  • Lifestyle changes worked especially well for participants ages 60 and older, reducing their diabetes risk by 71%. This research also found that treatment with a medication called metformin lowered diabetes risk by 31%. However, metformin isn’t appropriate for all patients with prediabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Prevention