What is gingivitis with diabetes?

Gingivitis means an inflammation of the gingiva or gums and often co-occurs with diabetes mellitus. Symptoms of gingivitis may include swollen or painful gums, bleeding, and gums that can be pulled apart from the teeth. Sometimes with gingivitis and/or more serious types of gum disease you might have symptoms such as bright red gums, bleeding, pus when you press on the gum, and bad breath. The good news is that gingivitis is highly preventable, if you have good oral hygiene including brushing and flossing daily. See your dentist for regular exams and cleanings.

The early stage of gum disease is called gingivitis. If you have gingivitis, your gums may become red, swollen and bleed easily. See your dentist if you suspect you have gum disease because the sooner you treat it the better. At this stage, the disease is still reversible and can usually be eliminated by a professional cleaning at your dental office, followed by daily brushing and flossing.

If you have diabetes, you are at greater risk for some oral health problems, including gum disease. It is important to maintain good oral health to prevent gum disease and other problems.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

What is the most common oral complication of diabetes?
Periodontal disease is the most common oral problem associated with diabetes. Gingivitis develops wh...
Do I have to floss if I have diabetes?
Yes. If you're only brushing your teeth, that's only half the battle. Floss cleans where your toothb...
Should I tell my dentist about my blood sugar fluctuations?
Yes, talk openly with your dentist about any concerns. People with abnormal blood glucose are at hig...
How can I prevent dental problems with diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To help prevent dental problems if you have diabetes, first and foremost, control your blood glucose...