What are warning signs for oral health problems in people with diabetes?

There are a number of warning signs that you should look out for if you have diabetes. You should see a dentist if any of these warning signs occurs:

Inflamed, red, swollen, painful gums, pus in between the teeth, if permanent teeth feel loose or seem to be moving away from your other teeth, or if your bite changes, or if your dentures change in fit, bad breath and dry mouth
Sometimes dry mouth may be a symptom of hyperglycemia,( too much sugar in the blood). So keeping on top of your blood glucose levels is very important to prevent some of these warning signs from happening.
Diabetics are at greater risk for some oral health problems, and these can have some early warning signs that you should look for.

Painful sores and difficulty swallowing can be a warning sign of fungal infections. Since diabetes compromises your immune system, you may be prone to developing fungal infections.

Gum disease is another potential problem. Some warning signs include:
  • gums that bleed easily
  • red, swollen, tender gums
  • gums that have pulled away from the teeth
  • persistent bad breath or bad taste
  • permanent teeth that are loose or separating
  • any change in the way your teeth fit together when you bite
  • any change in the fit of partial dentures
You should see your dentist if you experience any of these problems. It's also important to see your dentist regularly because many times there may be no warning signs.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Are dentures safe for diabetics?
The American Dental Association generally advises diabetics not to wear dentures all the time. Thrus...
How do type 1 and type 2 diabetes increase the risk of dental problems?
All types of diabetes increase the risk of dental problems. Diabetes can increase the risk of fungal...
How should I care for my teeth if I have diabetes?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
If you have diabetes and have never flossed or not flossed in a long time, it may be challenging to ...
Are bleeding gums normal in people with diabetes?
Carol JahnCarol Jahn
People with diabetes are a greater risk for gum disease and may have gums that bleed easily. However...