Should I tell my dentist that I have diabetes?

If you have diabetes, be sure to inform your dentist, as well as report any changes in health. People with diabetes are at greater risk for oral health problems. As a result, your dentist may recommend more frequent evaluations and preventive procedures, such as teeth cleaning, to maintain good oral health.

Yes, it's important that your dentist knows you have diabetes. If you are on medications, tell your dentist the names and dosages of the medications. If you are having difficulty with blood sugar control, let your dentist know as poor glucose control can affect your teeth and gums. Your dentist can evaluate your oral health during the dental examination. After the dental hygienist cleans and polishes your teeth, the dentist will evaluate your teeth and gums. You may need x-rays of the teeth at this time. Your dentist will let you know if the x-rays are necessary. The dental x-rays enable the dentist to see the status of each tooth, including the roots. The comprehensive dental work-up is important for your teeth and for your overall health. As a diabetic, you have an increased risk of bacterial infections, which can lead to serious problems if left untreated. Getting an accurate diagnosis and good treatment at your dental visit is important for managing your diabetes and your dental health.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Can probiotics help my oral care or diabetes?
Modern medicine is gradually accepting the use of probiotics. Preliminary research studies on probio...
Why did my dentist suggest that I do monthly oral self exams for diabetes?
Your dentist understands the possible effects that diabetes can have on your oral health. People wit...
What dental medications should a person with diabetes avoid?
Diabetics should avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone, and a class of...
What is periodontal disease with diabetes?
Periodontal disease or severe gum disease is an inflammatory condition that can lead to destruction ...