Can treating my periodontal disease improve my blood sugar control?

Recent research suggests that the connection between gum disease and diabetes goes both ways. On the one hand, because of lowered resistance and a longer healing process, gum disease appears to be more frequent and more severe among those with diabetes. Conversely, it appears that treating gum disease in people with diabetes can help improve blood sugar control.

Advanced gum disease is called periodontitis. Chronic periodontitis can lead to the loss of tissue and bone that support the teeth and it may become more severe over time. As the problem can be painless, many people don't know they have it. That's why regular visits to the dentists and practicing other good oral health hygiene habits, such as brushing twice daily and flossing once daily, are important to helping prevent it.
Some research suggests that the successful treatment of periodontal disease can improve the control of blood sugar, especially in people with adult onset type 2 diabetes. In contrast it may be more difficult to manage your blood sugar if you do not take steps to improve your periodontal disease. However, more research on the relationship between periodontal disease and diabetes is needed to determine how and why this occurs.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health