What's the best defense against plaque in diabetics?

The best defense against plaque in diabetics is excellent oral care at home each day. Plaque is a biofilm of bacteria, food debris and other material that coats the teeth. Even if you didn't eat, you'd have plaque on your teeth. The only way to remove plaque is to brush and floss daily. When plaque stays on the teeth, it turns into a hard substance called tartar, which must be scraped off by your dentist/hygienist. Plaque is the cause of most dental problems, including periodontal disease (gum disease). The problem is that periodontal disease, if untreated, can destroy the bone and cause the teeth to become loose or fall out. Periodontal disease in the late stages usually needs surgery for treatment.

Carol Jahn
Dentist
The best defense against plaque for someone with diabetes is to add a Water Flosser once daily to your home care routine. The Water Flosser has been shown to be 29% more effective than floss at reducing plaque and twice as effective at reducing bleeding.

The Water Flosser has been tested on people with diabetes. When people with diabetes added a Water Flosser to toothbrushing, they had a 44% bettter reduction in bleeding and a 41% better reduction in gingivitis over people with diabetes who did not use a Water Flosser.

Continue Learning about Diabetes and Oral Health

Do I have to change my insulin regimen before a dental procedure?
Most dental procedures are minor and do not require you to fast or change your insulin regimen. Typi...
What dental medications should a person with diabetes avoid?
Diabetics should avoid taking aspirin, anti-inflammatory steroids such as prednisone, and a class of...
What are the best oral care products for someone with diabetes?
The American Dental Association (ADA) recommends that diabetics use a soft-bristled brush with round...
Can treating my periodontal disease improve my blood sugar control?
Some research suggests that the successful treatment of periodontal disease can improve the control ...