Why are people with diabetes more susceptible to wounds?

Diabetics are more susceptible to wounds due to decreased blood flow, says Brian Evans, MD, from West Hills Hospital & Medical Center. Learn more in this video.

People with diabetes are more susceptible to wounds because diabetes can affect blood vessels, making them not work as well. Wounds need blood to heal, so decreased blood flow can make wounds hard to heal. Also, people who have diabetes for a long time can develop damaged nerves. As a result, they can injure a foot and not know it because the nerves no longer work to tell them there is pain. With no pain, a person can keep walking on that foot, making it difficult to heal.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
What are the benefits of measuring lipid profiles in type 2 diabetics?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
According to the American Diabetes Association (ADA), “nearly all people with diabetes have abnormal...
If I have diabetes, how can I lower my risk of heart attack?
If you have diabetes you can lower your risk of heart attack with the following: Lifestyle chang...
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?
Can Diabetes Lead to Cancer?