What can be done if a wound doesn't heal in someone with diabetes?

Therapies such as angioplasty or bypass surgery are used to treat non-healing wounds in people with diabetes. Skin substitutes and growth-factor products manufactured in the lab also offer approaches to address the problem. Hyperbaric therapy, which infuses high-pressure oxygen into tissue to kill infectious bacteria and stimulate wound healing, is also an option for some people. An arterial-assist device—a blood-pressure-type cuff that applies compression to the foot, ankle and calf to circulate blood flow—represents another noninvasive option that
can be used at home.

“We see dramatic improvement in diabetic wound patients treated using the right approach,” says Steven Farley, MD, medical director of the UCLA Center for Wound Healing and Limb Preservation. “The bottom line is that diabetic patients with wounds that linger for more than a month should seek care,” Dr. Farley says.

If someone with diabetes has a wound that doesn't heal, he or she should talk with a doctor about it. The sooner the wound is properly managed, the less likely an extreme measure, such as an amputation, will be needed. Wound treatment techniques can include:

• antibiotics
  • compression therapy
  • debridement, or removal of dead or damaged tissue
  • nutritional management
  • pain management
  • physical therapy
  • special dressings or wraps
  • hyperbaric oxygen therapy

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
How do I care for my feet to help prevent diabetic foot ulcers?
Sunrise Hospital & Medical CenterSunrise Hospital & Medical Center
Closely monitoring the feet (and nothing any changes in the feet), wearing shoes and monitoring bloo...
If I have diabetes, how can I lower my risk of heart attack?
If you have diabetes you can lower your risk of heart attack with the following: Lifestyle chang...
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?
Why Is Diabetes So Devastating?