What is a foot exam for people with diabetes?

If you have diabetes, a complete foot exam includes a check of the skin on your feet, your foot muscles and bones, and your blood flow. Your provider will also check for numbness in your feet by touching your foot with a monofilament. It looks like a stiff piece of nylon fishing line or a bristle in a hairbrush.

Have a complete foot exam once a year if you have diabetes.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
How can I avoid foot problems if I have diabetes?
William Lee DuboisWilliam Lee Dubois
Get in the habit of paying attention to your feet before you need to. Check your feet every night. R...
Does diabetes increase my risk of a heart attack?
Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of diabetes-related deaths. People with diabetes who hav...
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?