When should I see a cardiologist if I have diabetes?

Dr. Jack Merendino, MD
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
Sometimes specialists are needed for the evaluation or treatment of problems resulting from diabetes. If you're having chest pain or shortness of breath, you may need to see a cardiologist to diagnose the problem. Blocked arteries to the heart can be treated by the cardiologist with angioplasty, in which the blockage is opened by a balloon, often with a stent or flexible tube put in place to prevent it from coming back. Blockages in arteries to the heart that can't be treated with angioplasty may require a cardiothoracic surgeon to do coronary artery bypass graft surgery. Blocked arteries to the brain or lower extremities may require evaluation by a vascular surgeon, and angioplasty or bypass can be done in these arteries too.
The Best Life Guide to Managing Diabetes and Pre-Diabetes

Bob Greene has helped millions of Americans become fit and healthy with his life-changing Best Life plan. Now, for the first time, Oprah's trusted expert on diet and fitness teams up with a leading...

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications