Are my feet getting better if I no longer feel pain in them?

Probably not. A lack of feeling could mean you have neuropathy, or nerve damage, which is common in people who have had diabetes for many years. As nerve damage gets worse, people often notice the very symptoms you describe: lots of burning and pain at first, but then much less as time goes on. Many times people say they no longer feel their feet at all. While pain can be awful, when you lose feeling in your feet you also lose an important warning sign. Pain has a purpose. If your foot hurts when you step on a tack, for instance, you will quickly remove the tack and treat the wound. But when you don't feel pain you lose the protection it provides. You don't feel anything when you step on the tack, so unless you frequently check your feet, it can take a long time for you to realize you're in trouble and to take action. That delay can lead to infections, and infections can be especially hard to clear up when you have diabetes. So going from painful feet to feet you can't feel is not a good thing. Your feet hurt less, but that means you need to find other ways to protect them.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications