What are the early signs of kidney disease from diabetes?

William Lee Dubois
Endocrinology Diabetes & Metabolism
When the kidneys start to fail from high blood sugar, the first thing that slips through is microalbumin; which are little tiny protein molecules. We can test your urine to see if microalbumin is spilling through the kidneys.

That is the early warning sign. There is still time to change. Once full-sized proteins show up in the urine the possibility of dialysis is very, very, very real. Diabetic kidney trouble is called nephropathy.
The Born-Again Diabetic: The handbook to help you get your diabetes in control (again)

Much has been written about the explosion of diabetes on the world stage the 4,000 new cases a day we all know about, the millions of people unaware they have diabetes. But another epidemic is...
The earliest sign of diabetic kidney disease is an increased excretion of a protein called albumin in the urine. This is present long before the usual tests done in your doctor's office show evidence of kidney disease, so it is important for you to have this test on a yearly basis. Other warning signs include: weight gain, ankle swelling, frequent trips to the bathroom at night and high blood pressure. Your blood pressure may get too high. As a person with diabetes, you should have your blood, urine and blood pressure checked at least once a year. This will lead to better control of your disease and early treatment of high blood pressure and kidney disease. Maintaining control of your diabetes can lower your risk of developing severe kidney disease.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

3 Ways to Prevent Diabetic Vision Issues
You probably know that diabetes can cause eye problems, possibly even blindness. Yet despite that startling truth, it’s important to recognize that wi...
Why did I gain weight after I lowered my blood glucose?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Some oral diabetes medications, such as glipizide and glyburide, and insulin will tend to cause weig...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?