Does diabetes put me at risk for developing thyroid problems?

Perhaps, the thyroid gland in your neck secretes thyroid hormone. Low levels of thyroid hormone (thyroid failure) are common in individuals with type 1 diabetes. Thyroid hormone gives you energy and helps maintain other organ systems in your body.

We recommend that you get a blood test for thyroid hormone once a year, particularly if you feel more tired than usual or have other symptoms such as constipation, dry skin, and feeling cold most of the time.

Treatment is easy and inexpensive. This is important, because when low thyroid hormone goes untreated, it can lead to many medical problems. Do not hesitate to ask your doctor periodically to check your blood thyroid hormone level. Remember that other medical problems can occur in people with diabetes that are not directly related to high blood glucose levels.

Continue Learning about Diabetes Complications

How to Break the Link Between Diabetes and Cancer
Diabetes. We know many of you get anxious about it because it can lead to heart attack, blindness, gastrointestinal problems, depression, kidney dysfu...
How can I lower my cholesterol if I have diabetes?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
To lower your cholesterol levels if you have diabetes, you should: Eat less saturated fat. Satura...
10 Complications of Diabetes
10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes10 Complications of Diabetes
Other conditions can arise after a diabetes diagnosis. Know how you can stay healthy.
What Are Some Common Stressors Caused by Diabetes Itself?