What sort of side effects can I expect after using a dermal filler?

Dermal fillers carry some risk of side effects, including bruising, swelling, lumpiness, infection, redness and inflammation. In rare cases, the skin itself may die if the filler blocks a blood vessel. You should also tell your doctor if you take aspirin or other blood thinners, as you may need to stop taking them before the procedure to reduce the risk of bleeding and bruising.

Hyaluronic acid, which is used in some fillers, is a naturally occurring substance in our bodies, so the fillers do not require allergic testing. For dermal fillers made from animal products though, you may need a skin test to see if you're allergic.

Allergic reactions, such as hives, swelling or flu-like symptoms, are the most common side effects of any dermal filler. Another possible event is infection.

Patricia Farris, MD
Dermatology

The dermal fillers used today are generally very safe. You can expect to see some bruising after they are injected and you may experience swelling depending on the type of filler used and the area injected. I tell patients to have fillers done on a day when they have a little downtime. I instruct them not to take aspirin, ibuprofen or vitamin E capsules for two weeks before the procedure since these medications increase the chance of bruising. I also have them to apply ice packs off and on after the procedure to reduce swelling. 

Continue Learning about Dermal Fillers