When should I see my doctor if I think I have Dercum's disease?

Dercum's disease can be distinguished by the appearance of several fatty lumps (lipomas) near the trunk of the body. Because lipomas can be severely painful, they can make movements such as walking, kneeling, or standing difficult. Talk to your doctor as soon as you notice any lipomas so you can learn which treatment options work for you. Also, if any family members have experienced similar symptoms, mention them to your doctor to get a better understanding of what you can expect.

Continue Learning about Dercum's Disease

Dercum's Disease

Dercum's disease is a rare disease in which you develop growths of fatty tissue called lipomas just under your skin. When these growths press against your nerves, the pain can very severe. Common symptoms of Dercum's are weight ga...

in that is unrelated to diet or exercise, strange accumulations of fat that have an abnormal consistency, feelings of extreme tiredness and pain to the touch in the affected areas. This disease occurs more often in women than in men. There are no specific tests for diagnosing Dercum's disease. If you have symptoms, you should see your doctor or a pain specialist to help control your pain.