What is Dercum's disease?

Dercum's disease is an uncommon condition first discovered by Francis Dercum. Usually affecting obese, menopausal women, Dercum's disease causes a painful buildup of fatty lumps called lipomas that usually appear on the mid-section and extremities closest to the mid-section. The lipomas can be as small as a grain of rice but they can also grow up to 10 pounds. Also known as Adiposis Dolorose, Morbus Dercum, Dercum-Vitaut syndrome, or Anders' syndrome, Dercum's disease causes chronic, painful fatigue and can worsen with time.

Continue Learning about Dercum's Disease

Which activities can worsen my Dercum's disease symptoms?
The symptoms of Dercum's disease affect each person differently, so the best way to know what to avo...
Is exercise important for someone with Dercum's disease?
Although some people can contract Dercum's disease while maintaining a healthy weight, a majority of...
Where can I find support for Dercum's disease?
Support groups can be very helpful for long-term treatment of Dercum's disease. They can provide emo...
Does Dercum's disease affect children differently than adults?
The effects of Dercum's disease such as the fatty lipomas generally do not appear in childhood. Thes...