How can I avoid tissue damage if I have Dercum's disease?

People with Dercum's disease often experience tissue damage due to the presence of the fatty bumps called lipomas on the body. The size of the lipomas can range from a grain of rice up to ten pounds in weight, which can stretch both surrounding skin and muscle tissue. Lipomas also constrict the nerve endings in the body, which causes someone to experience intense pain. Especially painful lipomas can be removed surgically, but frequent surgeries may cause health risks such as tissue damage.

Some people with Dercum's disease treat muscle pain with a type of massage called Manual Lymphatic Drainage. This is a type of moderate muscle therapy which attempts to rub out pain caused by swelling using gentle hand motions. However, it can cause further tissue damage if attempted by a non- licensed professional.

Continue Learning about Dercum's Disease

Dercum's Disease

Dercum's disease is a rare disease in which you develop growths of fatty tissue called lipomas just under your skin. When these growths press against your nerves, the pain can very severe. Common symptoms of Dercum's are weight ga...

in that is unrelated to diet or exercise, strange accumulations of fat that have an abnormal consistency, feelings of extreme tiredness and pain to the touch in the affected areas. This disease occurs more often in women than in men. There are no specific tests for diagnosing Dercum's disease. If you have symptoms, you should see your doctor or a pain specialist to help control your pain.