When does depression start?

Young children and teens can get depression but it can occur at other ages also. Depression is more common in women than in men, but men do get depression too. Loss of a loved one, stress and hormonal changes, or traumatic events may trigger depression at any age.
This answer is based on source information from the National Institute of Mental Health.

Continue Learning about Depression

Reduce Depression Fast With Meditation and Exercise
One morning, a reporter approached golfing legend Ben Hogan as he was on his way to the practice area before the start of the last day of a major tour...
Why do older people often resist getting help for depression?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Because few older people know enough about depression, they do not recognize the symptoms and believ...
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
The connection goes both ways for conditions like heart disease, diabetes and more.
What Types of Mental Activity Can I Do to Help Manage Depression?