What emotions do people feel when they're depressed?

John Preston, PsyD
Depression carries with it some very intense and difficult-to-manage emotions. In addition to the normal difficult emotions that all people experience from time to time, such as anger, sadness, disappointment and grief, people with depression can also experience seemingly uncontrollable waves of despair, overwhelming anguish, the urge to harm themselves or others and other intensely negative feelings that, even to the person with depression, may seem out of proportion to the situation.
Depression 101: A Practical Guide to Treatments, Self-Help Strategies, and Preventing Relapse

When you have depression, it can feel like there's no way out. To begin changing the way you feel, you'll need an arsenal of proven techniques for lifting your mood and preventing relapse. The...

Continue Learning about Depression

Should I Go to the ER for My Depression?
The past decade has seen a dramatic increase in the number of Americans arriving at emergency rooms with mental health concerns. A report by the Healt...
What should I do if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts?
As people age and go through challenging life experiences, it's normal to think about mortality....
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
The connection goes both ways for conditions like heart disease, diabetes and more.
Are There Drugs or Vitamins That Can Prevent Prostate Cancer?