What should I do if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts?

As people age and go through challenging life experiences, it's normal to think about mortality. But if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts of self-harm, illness, or death, it's a very big red flag. According to Ian Cook, MD, professor of psychiatry and director of the Depression Research and Clinic Program at UCLA, a depressed person may become consumed with fear and worry, and feel that their health or life is at immediate risk. The greatest danger of negative thoughts due to depression is self-harm. If your loved one shows any signs or symptoms of self-harm or potential self-harm, arrange for them to see a doctor. In urgent cases, a rush trip to the emergency room to protect your loved one's safety may be your best option.

Continue Learning about Depression

should i go to the er for my depression ?
the past decade has seen a dramatic increase in the number of americans arriving at emergency rooms with mental health concerns . a report by the heal...
how does the stigma of mental illness affect the treatment of depression ?
If you have depression, self-stigma can be harmful because it may cause you to stop treatment, avoid...
how common is depression ?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
When it comes to depression America ranked No. 1 in 2004. Statistics revealed that in one year, 9.6...
how is 5-htp used to treat depression ?
how is 5-htp used to treat depression ?