What should I do if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts?

As people age and go through challenging life experiences, it's normal to think about mortality. But if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts of self-harm, illness, or death, it's a very big red flag. According to Ian Cook, MD, professor of psychiatry and director of the Depression Research and Clinic Program at UCLA, a depressed person may become consumed with fear and worry, and feel that their health or life is at immediate risk. The greatest danger of negative thoughts due to depression is self-harm. If your loved one shows any signs or symptoms of self-harm or potential self-harm, arrange for them to see a doctor. In urgent cases, a rush trip to the emergency room to protect your loved one's safety may be your best option.

Continue Learning about Depression

Major Depressive Disorder Symptoms
Major Depressive Disorder Symptoms
When you're depressed, you expect to feel sad, blue, or down in the dumps -- a state known as dysphoria. You may also suffer from anhedonia, which is ...
How can I give support to my depressed loved one?
Charles J. Sophy, MDCharles J. Sophy, MD
You can give support to your depressed loved one by:Attending to his/her expressed needs and empower...
Can depression be helpful?
In addition to higher levels of empathy and realism, some professionals believe that the effects of ...
What Should I Tell My Doctor at Follow-Up Visits for Depression Treatment?