What should I do if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts?

As people age and go through challenging life experiences, it's normal to think about mortality. But if a loved one is preoccupied with negative thoughts of self-harm, illness, or death, it's a very big red flag. According to Ian Cook, MD, professor of psychiatry and director of the Depression Research and Clinic Program at UCLA, a depressed person may become consumed with fear and worry, and feel that their health or life is at immediate risk. The greatest danger of negative thoughts due to depression is self-harm. If your loved one shows any signs or symptoms of self-harm or potential self-harm, arrange for them to see a doctor. In urgent cases, a rush trip to the emergency room to protect your loved one's safety may be your best option.

Continue Learning about Depression

How are Anxiety and Depression Related?
How are Anxiety and Depression Related?
Betsy Chung, Clinical Psychologist, talks about anxiety and depression during COVID-19.
Is masked depression serious?
Masked depression can be a serious, even life-threatening, condition. The behaviors associated with ...
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression4 Health Risks With a Strong Link to Depression
The connection goes both ways for conditions like heart disease, diabetes and more.
What Does My Partner Need to Know About My Depression?