Is masked depression serious?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Masked depression can be a serious, even life-threatening, condition. The behaviors associated with masked depression such as substance abuse, alcohol abuse and eating disorders can have serious, debilitating effects on the body. In addition, depression is a leading cause of suicide.

Because of the elusive nature of the condition, the rate of incidence for masked depression is difficult to estimate. Approximately 30 percent of people who visit their doctor have symptoms of some form of depression. The rate of incidence for teenagers and young adults may be even higher.

You should talk with your doctor about masked depression if you are experiencing a condition that is commonly associated with it such as substance abuse, alcoholism or an eating disorder. You should also consult your doctor if you are experiencing suicidal thoughts or a desire to harm yourself.

Continue Learning about Depression

How Lifestyle Changes Can Help Ease Depression
Wil Wheaton may be your long-time favorite because of his role as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation or as himself on the Big Bang Theor...
How common is depression during and after pregnancy?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Depression is a common problem during and after pregnancy. About 13 percent of pregnant women and ne...
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)9 Things Everyone Should Know About Depression (Even If You're Not Depressed)
It can aggravate pain and make heart disease and diabetes worse—and that’s just to start.
How Do I Know If I Have Depression and Not Just a Blue mood?