What professionals can help me deal with depression?

Dr. Ramani Durvasula, PhD
Psychology Specialist

A great place to start treating depression is with your regular doctor who may be able to start meds or provide referrals to mental health services. Therapy should be delivered by a licensed mental health practitioner—a psychologist, licensed master's level therapist (e.g., a marriage and family therapist [MFT]), social worker or psychiatrist. Some people may find it useful to turn to a religious leader such as a pastor, priest or imam and ideally should consult with someone who has some background in mental health. Health maintenance organizations (HMOs) will provide mental health services as part of their coordinated care. Finally, low cost options can often be found at hospital outpatient training clinics, university training clinics, state hospital outpatient clinics, and local social service agencies. It is critical that you feel comfortable with whomever you choose; it is perfectly fine to keep going and seeking second opinions until you feel comfortable.

Continue Learning about Depression Treatment

How Antidepressants Treat Depression
How Antidepressants Treat Depression
To understand how antidepressant medications reduce the symptoms of major depression, it's important to understand how the parts of our brain that gov...
Read More
How is depression treated in older people?
Dr. Aruna V. Josyula, MDDr. Aruna V. Josyula, MD
Depression is treatable in older people. A combination of prescribed antidepressant medications and ...
More Answers
How much do Americans spend each year to treat depression?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
The annual costs associated with major depression in the United States are an estimated $44 to $...
More Answers
Is Depression Hereditary?
Is Depression Hereditary?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.