What do I need to know about caring for someone with depression?

It is important to understand that depression is an illness and not a weakness or character flaw. Learn the symptoms of depression and, if the person is under a health professional's care, make sure they take their medication as prescribed. Communication is very important to know how they are feeling. If they tell you they are having thoughts of suicide, contact a health professional promptly. Help keep them from being isolated by encouraging them to interact with others and join a support group. You can partner with them in an exercise program and make sure they avoid drugs and alcohol and eat a healthy diet.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Depression Caregiver Stress
Depression Caregiver Stress
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, each year an estimated 17 million adult Americans suffer from depression. If you're the primary ...
How does a mother's depression affect her children?
Babies of depressed mothers may develop infantile depression and engage less with people and the...
How can I cope with feelings of worthlessness if I am depressed?
Lara Honos-Webb, PhDLara Honos-Webb, PhD
If you are feeling worthless and depressed, try this exercise: Take note the next time you feel wo...
What Type of Set-Up Is Used to Administer Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS)?