How can I take care of myself and a depressed loved one?

Donna Hill Howes, RN
Family Medicine
To support your loved one who is depressed, help her with seeking resources and professional care. Depression can be painful and lonely. People who have it often feel hopeless and ashamed about their inability to "shake off" their sadness. What they may not realize is that, as with other illnesses, depression must be treated to get better. Assist your loved one in finding resources that can help her understand depression.

Also encourage her to speak to a doctor or mental health provider. Offer to help make a list of questions to ask during the first medical appointment.

Lastly, remind your loved one that you are there for her as she learns to manage her depression.

Continue Learning about Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living With Depression

Living with depression can feel like a challenge, but with the right tools, you can learn to successfully manage your condition. It's important to follow the recommendations of your primary healthcare provider, take any depression ...

medication as prescribed and utilize the social supports around you. It's also important to eat well, get enough sleep, exercise and keep track of your depression symptoms.