What's Your Depression IQ?
The number of people suffering from depression has risen dramatically in recent years, but no two people experience this sometimes baffling condition in the same way. The good news is knowledge is power. Take our quiz to find out how much you already know -- and to learn more -- about depression.Test yourself
Are You Depressed?
Depression symptoms are as varied as the people who have them. One person may lose weight, another may pile on pounds. Men and women often show different signs of depression, and for some people depression can be as physically painful as it is emotionally draining. Loss of libido, drinking problems and a sudden loss of interest in everyday activites are just a few of the signs to watch out for.Learn more signs of depression
Treatments for Depression
There's nothing cookie-cutter about treating depression. For some people, popping a pill each day is enough to keep the blues away. Others find relief by talking things out with a therapist, making simple lifestyle changes or combining several strategies at once.
Who Is At Risk for Depression?
Depression affects an estimated 1 in 10 U.S. adults. Women tend to be most depressed, especially those ages 45 to 65. People who are without health insurance, unemployed, previously married or have less than a high school education tend to be at risk, too.
Do You Have
Try AskMDFeeling depressed? Find out if a medical condition may be causing your symptoms
1 in 10
The number of adults in the U.S. who suffer from depression
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Daniella Heller, MD
JFK Medical Center North Campus
What are the symptoms of depression?
When the sadness persists and interferes with everyday life, it may be depression. Depression is not a normal part of growing older . . .
- Q What is transient depression?
- Q What is depression as it relates to military veterans?
- Q How can I let go of depression if a loved one is depressed?
- Q How can overeating complicate underlying depression?
- Q Is depression a disability?
- Q What is pure depression?
- Q Does depression prevent dreaming?
- Q What do I need to know about caring for someone with clinical depression?
- Q How can drugs and alcohol help mask depression?
- Q What is the link between ADHD and depression?