What is the nutritional value of dandelion?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

Dandelion's calorie count is exceptionally low - a cup is only 25 calories, while its nutrient content is exceptionally high. In fact, the dandelion contains greater nutritional value than many other vegetables. It is particularly high in vitamins and minerals, protein, choline, inulin, and pectin. Its carotenoid content is extremely high, as reflected by its high vitamin A content. Dandelion has 14,000 IU of vitamin A per 100 g compared to 11,000 IU for carrots. In addition, dandelion is an excellent source of vitamin C, riboflavin, B6, and thiamine, as well as calcium, copper, manganese, and iron.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Dandelion

What is the best way to take dandelion?
You can take dandelion a number of different ways, but should only use it in one form at a time....
Should I let my doctor know I’m taking dandelion?
You should let your doctor know that you are taking dandelion. Your doctor will help you weigh t...
What Are the Health Benefits of Eating Dandelion?