Why do my arms and shoulders get tight when I bicycle?

Although cycling is a great exercise, it does put your body in an unnatural posture.  When you are on a bike your back becomes rounded, your arms are at about 100 degrees of shoulder flexion and horizontal adduction, & 90 degrees of elbow flexion. Your neck is also at a extended position especially when your in a racing posture. As a result of long hours in these upper extremity postures the muscles will actively adapt to a muscle shortened position.  I suggest after your bike ride, statically stretch out your pectoral muscles, your posterior cuff of your shoulder and your neck muscles(trapezium, and levator scapule) 30 seconds each muscle group.

The tightness you’re experiencing could very well be related to your positioning on the bike. When you  place too much weight on your hands while riding, the muscles of your arms and shoulders are forced to work in stabilizing the excess weight placed on the handle bars. To alleviate this, take some of the weight off of your hands and use your core to stabilize the bike while you’re riding. You should be able to ride with your hands only keeping the handlebars steady.

If your arms get tired before your legs, your bicycle does not fit you properly.  Your handlebars can be either too close, too far, or too low. Any of these will put more stress on your arms, shoulders, and neck.  A good bike fit a local shop will distribute your weight more evenly over the bike and allow you to ride with a relaxed upper body (which also improves bike handling).  

Continue Learning about Cycling

Boost Performance with Motivational Self-Talk
Wouldn’t it be great if you could change your body so you could swim better or run faster when you worked out? Well, Canadian researchers have shown y...
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Bike to Work—But Wear Your Helmet
Recently I chatted with a childhood friend about the crazy, unsafe things we did on bicycles when we were young. Whether it was launching ourselves of...
Why do I get persistent pain over my sit bones when I increase my cycling?
The most likely explanation is that the bursae overlying the sit bones are inflamed. Increased frict...
Is there a difference between mountain biking and road cycling?
Yes. Aside from the scenery you experience, mountain biking and road cycling require very different ...