Why may I need a computed tomography (CT) scan of my chest?

The chest contains organs of the respiratory and cardiovascular systems, as well as the esophagus (hollow tube of muscle extending from below the tongue to the stomach). A computed tomography (CT) scan of the chest, a noninvasive diagnostic imaging procedure, may be performed to assess the chest and its organs for tumors and other lesions, injuries, intra-thoracic bleeding, infections, unexplained chest pain, obstructions, or other conditions, particularly when another type of examination, such as x-rays or physical examination, is not conclusive.

A CT scan of the chest may also be used to evaluate the effects of treatment of thoracic tumors. Another use of chest CT is to provide guidance for biopsies and/or aspiration of tissue from the chest.

There may be other reasons for your physician to recommend a CT scan of the chest.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

What is a CT scan of the sinuses?
Dr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MDDr. Paul M. Ehrlich, MD
A computed tomography (CT) or computed axial tomography (CAT) scan test utilizes computers to enhanc...
What happens during a computed tomography (CT or CAT scan) of the chest?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Generally, a chest computed tomography (CT) scan follows this process: You will be asked to remove...
Does a PET Scan That Shows Lung Nodules Mean Cancer?
Who Should Get a CT Scan to Screen for Lung Cancer?