Why do different body parts show up as different colors on a CT scan?

Different body parts show up as different colors on a computerized tomography (CT) scan, also called a computed tomography or CAT scan, because different parts of the body absorb different amounts of x-rays.

The CT scanner works by sending a beam of x-rays through the body and onto electronic "film." Some of the x-rays pass through the body and some are absorbed. Harder parts of the body, like bones, absorb more x-rays and show up white. Where there’s little or nothing to stop the x-rays (like lungs), it shows up as black. Softer parts of the body—like the brain, muscles and skin—absorb less of the x-rays and show up as shades of gray.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

What happens before a computed tomography (CT scan) of the chest?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Before a computed tomography (CT or CAT scan) of the chest, a noninvasive diagnostic imaging procedu...
If my doctor recommends a CT scan, what questions should I ask?
Every day 19,500 computed tomography (CT) scans are performed in the United States. From 2005 to...
Who Should Get a CT Scan to Screen for Lung Cancer?
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan
Common Tests Explained: CT Scan