If my doctor recommends a CT scan, what questions should I ask?

Every day 19,500 computed tomography (CT) scans are performed in the United States. From 2005 to 2007, more than 70% of American adults were zapped. But are CT scans safe? CT scans typically give you radiation equal to 75 chest X-rays. Based on research published by the National Cancer Institute, we now believe that around 29,000 future cases of cancer may result from the 72 million CT scans done in 2007 alone.

While a CT scan and other X-rays can be life-saving and make early diagnosis possible, always ask:
  • Is this scan necessary? (Ask three times!)
  • Could a different test with less radiation provide the needed information for my diagnosis?
  • Could a different test be as useful in determining how my condition is treated?
  • Is the scan set to use the lowest dose necessary for results?
  • Can I wait to see a specialist first?
Be scanner smart.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

Who is most at risk in a computed tomography (CT) scan?
The Medical Center of AuroraThe Medical Center of Aurora
When it comes to the risks of a computed tomography (CT) scan, it's important to note that the effec...
How can I explain what a CT scan is to my child?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
You can explain what a CT scan is to your child by telling him or her that CT stands for computed to...
Can Radiation From X-Rays and Computed Tomography (CT) Scans Cause Cancer?
Who Should Get a CT Scan to Screen for Lung Cancer?