If my doctor recommends a CT scan, what questions should I ask?

Every day 19,500 computed tomography (CT) scans are performed in the United States. From 2005 to 2007, more than 70% of American adults were zapped. But are CT scans safe? CT scans typically give you radiation equal to 75 chest X-rays. Based on research published by the National Cancer Institute, we now believe that around 29,000 future cases of cancer may result from the 72 million CT scans done in 2007 alone.

While a CT scan and other X-rays can be life-saving and make early diagnosis possible, always ask:
  • Is this scan necessary? (Ask three times!)
  • Could a different test with less radiation provide the needed information for my diagnosis?
  • Could a different test be as useful in determining how my condition is treated?
  • Is the scan set to use the lowest dose necessary for results?
  • Can I wait to see a specialist first?
Be scanner smart.

Continue Learning about CT Scan

What happens after a computed tomography (CT or CAT scan) of the chest?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
If contrast dye was used during your computed tomography (CT or CAT scan) of the chest, a noninv...
Can a CT scan assess osteoporosis?
Anthony CirilloAnthony Cirillo
Currently, the key technology used to assess a patient's risk of osteoporosis-related fracture is a ...
Can Radiation From X-Rays and Computed Tomography (CT) Scans Cause Cancer?
Does a PET Scan That Shows Lung Nodules Mean Cancer?